ASB & Noise Nuisance

No Fly Tipping Featured Image
Fly Tipping
8th May 2017
Protecting Your Business Featured Image
Protecting your Business
8th May 2017

ASB & Noise Nuisance

ASB & Noise Nuisance Featured Image

Anti-social behaviour covers a wide range of unacceptable activity that causes harm to an individual, to their community or to their environment. This could be an action by someone else that leaves you feeling alarmed, harassed or distressed.   It also includes fear of crime or concern for public safety, public disorder or public nuisance.

Examples of anti-social behaviour include:

  • Nuisance, rowdy or inconsiderate neighbours
  • Vandalism, graffiti and fly-posting
  • Misuse of public space
  • Intimidation
  • Harassment
  • Street drinking
  • Environmental damage including littering, dumping of rubbish and abandonment of cars
  • Prostitution related activity
  • Begging and vagrancy
  • Fireworks misuse
  • Inconsiderate or inappropriate use of vehicles

The police, local authorities and other community safety partner agencies, such as Fire & Rescue and social housing landlords, all have a responsibility to deal with anti-social behaviour and to help people who are suffering from it.

If you are experiencing problems with anti-social behaviour, or have any concerns about it, or other community safety issues, in the first instance you should contact your local council or your housing provider, if you feel you are at immediate risk call 999.

Noise Nuisance

Councils can deal with the following:

  • Industrial – noise from factories, machinery, ventilation fans, air conditioning units, tannoys, sirens and vibration
  • Noise like loud music from pubs, clubs, shops or offices
  • Misfiring alarms from homes, businesses or cars. These might be security or smoke alarms
  • Dogs barking
  • Loud music from people’s homes
  • Other noises people make, usually at home, like shouting, banging, arguing or sexual activities
  • DIY noise
  • Noise from construction sites
  • Street noise, like loud speakers and buskers
  • Other noise, like those from household appliances.

 To report noise nuisance to your local council, please use the following methods:

Telephone: 01482 300300 or visit their website and complete an online report here


Graffiti is criminal damage and if you think you know who is responsible you should call the council on telephone 01482 300300, so action can be taken.

You can request removal of graffiti from:-

  • council buildings
  • parks and open spaces
  • public litter bins and seating
  • street lights, bollards and beacons
  • private residential property (a fee is applicable and a disclaimer must be signed)

The council do not remove graffiti from:-

  • junction boxes
  • telephone boxes
  • bus shelters
  • Railway Lines
Translate >