Report A Crime

Welcome to a new member!
12th July 2019
Online Safety
Online Safety
15th July 2019

Report A Crime

Report a Crime

In an emergency always dial 999

If you’ve been mugged, badly hurt, or attacked in any way, or if you’ve just witnessed a serious crime being committed, please call 999 as soon as possible.

Your call should be answered within ten seconds.  A trained staff member will ask you to describe what has happened and where you are.  They may ask if you require any other emergency services, such as an ambulance.

If the situation is an emergency, a police officer will come to the scene to talk to you.  They’ll ask you to explain what happened, and they can help you decide what to do next.


Reporting a non emergency crime

If you want to report a minor crime, such as a stolen mobile phone, call 101.

You should call 101 to report crime and other concerns that do not require an emergency response.  For example, if

  • Your car has been stolen
  • Your property has been damaged
  • You suspect drug use or dealing in your neighbourhood

Or to:

  • Give the police information about crime in your area
  • Speak to the police about a general enquiry


How to report crime anonymously

If you would like to report a crime, but you do not want to be identified to the police, call Crimestoppers on 0800 555 111.

Crimestoppers will ask questions about the crime you have information on but will never ask questions about you.  If you are at all concerned your call could be traced, reassure yourself by dialling 141 before 0800 555 111, which blocks your phone number.  Or use a phone box – it’s free.  Because Crimestoppers is an 0800 number, calls are free from a landline and don’t show up on a BT or cable phone bill.

Alternatively, you can report a crime anonymously with Crimestoppers online, click here.


How to report anti-social behaviour

The first step is to speak to members of your local neighbourhood policing team.   They can provide support and advice, and help you decide how to handle the situation.  If you and your neighbour are tenants of a social landlord (the council or a housing association), you can also report it to your landlord.

If the anti-social behaviour is affecting your quality of life, or making you fear for your safety or the safety of others, contact your local policing team by calling 101. 

If the problem is noise-related, call Hull City Council on Tel: 01482 300300.


How to report hate crime

The police and the courts treat hate crime very seriously.  Hate crime is upsetting for victims and their friends and families, and creates hatred in communities.

Hate crime is any crime that is targeted at a person or group of people because of prejudice or hostility about:

  • Race – including culture, nationality and language
  • Religion and belief
  • Sexual orientation
  • Transgender identity – including anyone who is transsexual, transgender, transvestite or who holds a Gender Recognition Certificate
  • Disability – including physical or mental impairment, or learning disability

The police will treat hate crime as a priority.  The courts can also impose a more severe sentence than for a similar crime with no hate motive.

If you think you’ve been a victim of hate crime, you should report it to the police as soon as possible.  Some police forces have dedicated officers to deal with particular types of hate crime.

By reporting it when it happens to you, you may be able to prevent it happening to someone else.  You will also help the police understand the extent of hate crime in your local area so they can respond to it better.

If you do not want to go direct to the police, you can also report the crime online by clicking here.


How do I report fraud?

You can report a fraud to Action Fraud any time of the day or night using their online fraud reporting tool here or by calling Tel: 0300 123 2040.


Humberside Police have this image to help with reporting a crime.

Translate >