As Christmas is fast approaching and is a lovely time to get together with family and friends (hopefully). Unfortunately in the run up to Christmas the amount of burglaries increases.
We have compiled a few top tips to help make your home as secure as it can be in preparation for the festive season.
– Close and lock all windows and doors when you go out. This may seem like an obvious tip, but is one that is so easily overlooked. Remember to take 2 minutes before you head out to check all windows are shut.
– Don’t leave any gifts or valuables in view. Close your curtains or blinds so intruders can’t see what you’ve got in your home.
– Lock all garden tools and ladders in a shed or garage. These would be the perfect aid for any burglar to gain access to your property. Remember to also lock your garage/shed, especially if it’s attached to your home.
– Turn off all Xmas lights when your not home. Christmas tree lights should not be left on for prolonged periods of time or overnight. Even LED lights can overheat, and with a combination of a dry Christmas tree, could cause a fire. Make it a habit to turn off your Christmas lights every time you leave the house or go to bed at night
– Don’t let thieves know what is in your house by leaving the packaging outside. This is an immediate heads up to a burglar that you have some expensive presents inside your home, and could tempt them to break in.
– Check how secure your doors and windows are. If required install stronger doors, dead bolts, heavy duty locks and new window hinges to keep out unwanted intruders. You may find a PATLOCK useful for additional security to your patio doors. https://www.nnetwork.org.uk/product/patlock/
Take a look at the crime prevention items available from our online shop https://www.nnetwork.org.uk/shop/